Richmond Public Library My Account | Contact

Search Catalog or Internet

Overdrive ebooks & Audiobooks

Libraries Closed Monday, September 1
Libraries Closed Monday, September 1

All Richmond Public Libraries will be closed on Monday, September 1 for Labor Day. Libraries will resume regular hours on Tuesday.

Family Children Teens Seniors
FamilyFamily

Library Board Meeting Minutes

May 28, 2014

 

PRESENT:                  Brenda Drew, David Lydiard, Gail Zwirner, Kirsta Millar, Daisy Weaver, Danita Green, Benjamin Lambert, Leighton Powell, Friends

LIBRARY STAFF:     Harriet Coalter, Clay Dishon, Cheryl Clarke, Felicia Smith, Jeniffer Maloney

ABSENT:                    Peter Blake, Larry Olanrewaju; Laura Drewry, City Attorney representative

 

Called to order by Brenda Drew, Vice Chair at 12:04 p.m.

Minutes from the April 23, 2014 meeting along with the current agenda and pending donation list were unanimously approved.

Public Comment Period

None were present.

REPORTS

  1. Friends of the Library

Ms. Powell reported:  Elections for new officers are complete. Ms. Powell remains the President, Charlie Schmidt is the Vice-President and Mary Cosby is the Treasurer.  All sub-committee memberships remain the same, as they continue to look for new members.

The Friends gift to the Library was $20,000 this year; which is $5,000 less than last year due to decreased book sales.  In an effort to increase funds a major focus this year will be on membership.

The mini-grant program is going well. Five Ipads were purchased for projects at Ginter Park, West End and Main. A project to circulate children’s books on topics was funded.  The grants also funded the upcoming Girls of Summer program at Main.

  1. Library Foundation

Ms. Coalter: Introduced Jeniffer Maloney, administrative assistant hired to assist the Foundation until the vacant Grant Writer position is filled.

  1. Administration

 

Ms. Coalter reported: A summary of the 550 responses received from the computer survey conducted May 5th – 17th were distributed and reviewed.  Employment and social inclusion ranked high. Detailed results from the survey will be sent to Board members.  The survey was one component of the neighborhood assessments. Floricane will be distributing a short paper survey in early June to all branches which will be followed up with interviews.  Stakeholder interviews will be scheduled; if any Board member is interested in participating inform Ms. Coalter.  Community conversations have been scheduled for each library.  On July 23rd Floricane will host a meeting at the Library of Virginia from 11am – 3pm.  This meeting will bring all components of the neighborhood assessments together for discussion. 

 

Ms. Coalter and Ms. Clarke are working with the police department to resolve the issue of homeless individuals sleeping on the front porch of the Main Library. Ms. Drew suggested providing a direct connection for homeless individuals at the library by adding a Social Worker to the staff.

 

Sunday hours have been funded for one library. The Board will make a recommendation for which branch to open at June’s meeting.

Clay Dishon has accepted the position of Deputy Director. Interview process underway for branch managers at North Ave, Hull Street and Westover Hills.





BOARD COMMITTEE REPORTS

  1. Chairman

Ms. Drew reported: Mr. Lydiard and Ms. Weaver have been appointed to serve as co-chairs of the nominating committee.  At June’s meeting a new chair and vice-chair will be elected for a 2 year term and committee assignments will be discussed. If you would like to nominate someone please contact the co-chairs.

 

Mr. Blake and Ms. Drew updated the “opportunity list”. Each item on the list was reviewed and thoroughly discussed.  Cost of $25,000 was placed on library materials.  A minimum of $35,000 will be added to summer learning and the two bullets will be combined.  The list will be updated and shared with the Foundation, which will decide which items to solicit contributions or grants for funding.

     

 

  1. Finance

Ms. Coalter reported: FY15 budget will be adopted at June’s meeting.  The increase for parenting education will come out of the Library’s budget and be rolled into the Office of Community Wealth Building to be used for consultants and classes.

 

Ms. Millar reported: The budget is on target for the current year.  The amount under Public Law Library is an issue that will have to be corrected in RAPIDS, as no revenue for FY14 has been recorded in our budget.

  1. Facilities

Ms. Drew reported: Westover Hills move forward to raise funds for one rain garden installation as a demonstration and then raise funds for a full design plan before going any further with this project.

There will be a meeting with Councilman Baliles in June to discuss West End’s renovation.

Issues surrounding the contract for the architect of Ginter Park renovation are being addressed.

  1. Government Relations

Ms. Weaver reported: No report.

  1. Succession Planning

Mr. Lydiard reported: the committee will meet at Stir Crazy on Tuesday, June 10th at 12:00 p.m.

UNFINISHED BUSINESS

New Website

Board members agreed to have their pictures added to the new website.  The web design team will present an update at June’s meeting.

 

There being no further business the meeting was adjourned at 1:08 p.m.

The next meeting will be held on Wednesday, June 25, 2014 at 12:00 p.m. at the Main Library

 

            Recorder: Felicia M. Smith                                                     Approved:                                                                              

                                                                                                                                         Ms. Brenda Drew, Vice -Chair